The Authorised Corporate Director
Margetts is an independent specialist fund management firm with more than £1.5Bn of assets under management. Margetts Fund Management Ltd was established in 2000, however the firm’s ancestry has enjoyed a long and rich history which can be traced back to 1845.
The company provides fund management and other fund services. Our core product is the Margetts Risk Rated fund range, which dates back to 1995. More recently we have partnered with other professional firms to create third party fund ranges with specific objectives to meet their clients’ needs.
The Margetts name has been a feature of Birmingham business life going back to the early years following the formation of the Birmingham Stock Exchange in 1845. Margetts Fund Management Ltd is particularly proud to be able to continue this association, with our roots having been established from the Margetts & Addenbrooke stock broking partnership. Brief details are set out below:
1845 – James Pearson, banker and stock broker, is an established trader in Birmingham and is elected the first Chairman of the newly constituted Birmingham Stock Exchange
1853 – James Pearson dies and is succeeded by his sons, Charles and Richard, and the name is pluralised to James Pearson & Sons
1875 – Herbert Margetts succeeds as proprietor of James Pearson & Sons and the firm is renamed… Herbert Margetts Late James Pearson & Sons’.
1881 – Herbert Margetts brings Lloyds Bank to the market. T. Jervis Addenbrooke is elected a member of the Birmingham Stock Exchange
1886 – Margetts & Addenbrooke form a partnership, naming the company Margetts & Addenbrooke
1895 – A private wire is installed from the offices direct to the London Stock Exchange. This is the first ever direct telephone from Birmingham to the London market
1901 – Herbert Margetts is elected Chairman of the Birmingham Stock Exchange for the last time
1909 – Herbert Margetts dies and T. Jervis Addenbrooke becomes sole partner
1932 – T. Jervis Addenbrooke completes 50 years of membership of the Birmingham Stock Exchange
1937 – T. Jervis Addenbrooke retires completing nearly 56 years membership of the Birmingham Stock Exchange
1938 – G. S. Howarth and W.O. Mills form a partnership and continue as Margetts & Addenbrooke
1944 – Pilot officer G.S. Howarth dies on active service and Reginald Welham is sole proprietor
1946 – The business of T. H. Evans & Co amalgamates with Margetts & Addenbrooke. Harold W. Oakley and Reginald Welham continue in partnership
1965 – Under new Federation rules, Margetts & Addenbrooke become a dual capacity firm acting as jobbers and brokers
1972 – Dual capacity is no longer permitted and Margetts & Addenbrooke expand private client stock broking
1986 – Margetts & Addenbrooke plays a leading role in the formation of the National Investment Group. Following further acquisitions by Capel Cure Myers, Old Mutual and Barclays Wealth Management, this resulted in the demise of the Margetts & Addenbrooke name as stock brokers in Birmingham